Monday 23 April 2012

Hungry For Prayer


The hungry. Those who attempt to fall asleep at night, trying to fight off the pains that scream from the inside. They battle daily for just something small to take away the agony. They struggle from one person to the next, asking, begging, hoping that this would be their lucky strike. Praying that the next person they ask will have it in their heart to help a brother out. "Please help, I'm starving!" He says. His words are said with desperation, with an almost  expectation to be rejected. Since so many have already turned away and looked beyond his situation. He smiles. It's a forced smile. A smile that perseveres through the harshness of reality.


"Hunger knows no friend, but its feeder." ~ Aristophanes 

I was blessed to see the world through the eyes of a fellow brother, suffering on the side of the road. He was playing his guitar, against the wall, waving a cup and asking for donations. It was early morning, and busy with people. I sat across this street musician, smiled and waved. We shared some words of greeting, names were exchanged. I was eating some maize meal, that I had just bought from the supermarket. "Why are you eating it dry?" he mumbled. His words were difficult to understand. I realized then, that he had a type of disability with the way the he spoke. "I'm quite low on money." I responded, not expecting much of a reaction from my newly met stranger. There was a pause. "Let me give you some money to buy some milk, and i can join you!" he very excitedly half shouted, as his eyes lit up and his hand dived into the half broken donation bag he carried with him. Still making sense of all that was happening, I proceeded to go to the supermarket to get us some milk. We shared the maize, now flowing in the luxuries of added milk. There we were, two strangers enjoying our breakfast on the side of the road. It started getting really busy at this point. People arriving from all directions. A man drove up on his Harley-Davidson motorcycle. Parked a few metres from us. Got off, walked straight up towards me, laid his hand on my head, and said "God, please help this man find a job." As he was walking away, I asked him to please pray for my new found friend too. Which he gladly did. I thanked him, and he left. This was wonderful, as it now sparked flowing conversations of God as the provider and protector between my new friend and I. He even proceeded to take out his bible. "I going to read this later," he said with a confidence and gratitude to the events that had just taken place. 

"Prayer is more than something we do. It's something that God does through us." ~ Ben Jennings

I was glad to be apart of this mans life, and grateful to have him apart of mine. A valuable lesson, and unforgettable experience was shared. The power of obedience and stepping out and praying for those that God calls us to, is a very important task, that we should not take lightly. It might just change that persons life.

No comments:

Post a Comment